Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Luke's Letter May 8, 2009

Hey mom and dad! How are you? I can't tell you how excited I am to be able to call you this coming Monday. Just to hear from everyone. I was told I'll have about an hour in Salt lake to call, then I'll also have about 3 hours or so in LA too. So that is way awesome. I want to call Monday morning so that I can hear Julie before she takes of too school. But I'll be in LA from about 1030 to 230 your time I think... so ya. This is going to be awesome!

Sorry about sounding harsh in my email dad. I don't want to sound mushy cause we're guys and we don't do that, but... I miss you a lot dad. I guess I didn't really realize that you've been my best friend all my life, especially this last year, and its hard not being able to talk and hear from you. So I was trying to express that last time, but didn't really know how without it sounding like this, so I tried that and it was kinda hard I guess. So you haven't been playing ball? Is it your achilles hurting still? Or did you do something else? I'm sure going to miss playing basketball the next two years, I'm sure I'll still get lots of chances though. Coach T let me know about the coaching situation at Ririe, it sounds like Mitch Landon is going to do JV, and Torgy is going to do girls JV.

Spanish is coming along pretty good I feel. I can have pretty good conversations with our teachers in Spanish. But, my vocab is pretty limited and stuff, to mission stuff. Which is ok for now, but I'm excited to keep expanding that. I find it fun being able to speak in Spanish and I can definitely feel the Lord's help in being able to speak in this language. I get all the grammar principles, but its going to take lots of work and practice for them to come naturally.

Thank you for the package! I did get it today. I love the pictures! Even Grandma carol was in one on the laptop at Tim's house haha. The back scratcher is very cool, and thank you for the info you gave me.

I can't tell you how excited I am to actually get out to Chile. We were able to talk with a lady from Chile on Wed by chance, and she was so cool. She gave us very good info. She says Chile is really modernized, and in a lot of places a lot like America. Especially in the cities. So that was comforting. She says the people there are super friendly though. And in Chile they have this weird thing with their Spanish, where they add the word Po to the end of words at random places. So that will be fun getting used to. Like... Como estápo or hasta mañanapo. Kinda like we will use Dude at weird times or something, I dunno. It sounds fun and exciting though.

I love all the stories about Emma and Zoey and stuff. I can't wait to see how grown up all the kids will be when I get home. And to see Benjamin and any others that might be coming. I feel bad for Starla and Ryan about their house, I'm sure it will all work out for them in the end though.

So have I told you all the books I've read here in the MTC? I was thinking about it today and have to say I have read a whole lot. I read the BOM, D&C, The New Testament, Jesus the Christ, Our heritage, Our search for happiness, and Preach my gospel. Its been awesome. Especially reading D&C, the New testament, Jesus the Christ, and our heritage. I learned a lot of history about our Savior, and also about our church. I'm incredibly interested in church history now and wish I had access to more info, but it will have to wait til I get back home. But its all very cool. Thank you for the family history stories mom, I have enjoyed those as well. I wonder if in a hundred years our generation will be reading stories about us? It's cool to think about.

I also got a package from the Norman's this week, they sent me basketball shorts haha. It was very nice of them.

This weeks actually been pretty hard for me, I think maybe I'm just tired of never being able to be alone, or something. I dunno, maybe I'm just beginning to crack here in the MTC haha. I dunno, but I'm doing fine now and am super excited to get the heck out of here and start working.

This week we had M. Russell Ballard for devotional, which was very cool. I'm blessed to have had the opportunity to listen to 3 apostles while here. Jeffrey R. Holland is my favorite right now. When he speaks here he does it with such passion. He told us all that if we were even thinking about going home he'd grab us by the tie and tie it to the bed until we change our minds. It was funny, but also very powerful.

Elder Callis is doing better emotionally and spiritually, but he's had some weird health issues. They are still planning on sending him out this Monday though so I pray that he will be taken care of while in Chile.

My health has been ok, I've had some weird sinus issues, but I'm sure I'll be fine.

Anyway, I'll be calling you Monday morning as soon as I can from the Salt Lake Airport... my flight leaves at like 8 I think... so around 7 or so? I guess I could just talk with you two then, then in LA with everyone else? Whatever works best for everybody. I have hours in LA so it should be good. I love you and can't wait to talk with you all!

Love Luke

No comments: