Friday, August 28, 2009

Luke's Letter Aug 17, 2009

Hey family!

Thank you for the emails, they always are super fun to read. It sounds like everyone is doing really well at home, even Julie haha. My birthday was really super fun. We were able to hang out with some families from the ward here and they were way nice and fed us and it was just a lot of fun. First we went to the Flores and had lunch and that was lots of fun. I always play with Abish their daughter who is 4. Later we were fed cake by some members while we worked on the member list we have because they knew lots of people and could help us with it, like who had moved out or died and all that stuff.

Then to finish the night we went to the Mamani´s, which is the first picture I attached with that family there. Lady is the oldest and is a ward missionary and has been helping us out tons with Giordana, they seem to be pretty good friends now actually. The Mamani´s had tons of food for us and we ended up taking lots of pictures and then Lady spoke into my recorder tape thingy for a little bit for you guys but in English, with an accent but you should be able to understand here I think, it was way funny. I have tons of pictures I want to send but I can only send about 2 or 3 pictures at a time and it takes a while to attach them so I´ll do what I can.

This week has actually been pretty tough, like the week before. About all our investigators except 4 have died, spiritually and don´t want more, or say they just don´t have time. People are soooo lazy! But we are progressing well with Johann and Giordana. We´ve found a great friend for Johann so hopefully that will help him not be so shy and all of that. His baptism is set for Sept 5. With Giordana we were getting super worried because we couldn’t find her all week, so last night we got with Lady and sent her to Giordana´s house while we hid at the corner, anyway, she got her to come out and walk with us and she told us that she wants to be baptized as soon as possible! There´s no way we can do it the next 2 Saturdays though so it looks like sept 5 for her as well. Its all super exciting though. I was worried something had happened and she didn´t want anymore but it was the opposite, she wants it all! She still hasn´t told her parents though, and we´re suggesting to her that she does that. She doesn´t have to but its better if she tells them then they find out some other way. Plus, how won´t they figure it out when she leaves every Sunday in a skirt around 10? Anyway, that’s going to be tough for her so if you can pray for her it would be helpful. The other thing we are dealing with is kinda tough too.There is a boy, hernan, 16 yrs old who was baptized about 6 months or so ago in a different ward then moved here with his family. He´s with his mom and 2 younger brothers, but they live with the moms boyfriend who is a drunk most the time and kinda violent. So Hernan is struggling to stay strong in the gospel, but also get his brothers into the gospel, while this guy they live with is against it all and kinda has a hold over the family. Also, we just found out that they are living here illegally, and if that was the case when he got baptized, then his baptism wasn´t legit, but we don´t know if they were legal when he got baptized. But, its all very complicated and I feel so bad for Hernan, the guy has a lot of strength and a super strong testimony but has all this crap to deal with from his family every single day. He doesn´t feel safe in his own home. Its way sad, so we´re going their tonight with the Bishop to talk with the mom to see what we can do to help. But it will be very interesting because I don´t know how open the mom will be to help or if she will take offense or what. Hopefully it will all work out for the better.

Other than that life is just going.We´ve been struggling to find new investigators to teach, and we find plenty of less active people, but then they don´t have time to listen to us or they have been inactive for years, like 20, and its hard to even get them to listen to anything. But we keep working, some days are really hard, but when we try our best we feel good at the end of the day. My Spanish is mediocre still, more its just understanding people that frustrates me. I can get my thoughts across, I have no problem with that, but not being able to understand people during crucial parts really gets me frustrated with myself. But it will come with time hopefully.

Thank you again for the birthday package, it was awesome, I loved it all. I´m working on a tape to send to you, its kinda hard though cause I dunno what to say haha. But I´ll get all that I can on there and send it off. Thanks for everything, Love you! Luke

Luke at the plaza in arica with the Morro behind me,
where Chile won a battle against Peru or something.



Yara & Alicia

Familia Mamani

No comments: